Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Xbox Kinect.... my thoughts of it.

  There are many fans of the new Xbox 360 Kinect... while some people do not like it. I myself do not have it yet and would like to get it to at least try it out, let my readers know how it is, and just to have it. Right now though, I'm just going to get into some specs, my beliefs of it, and things of that nature.  Obviously, if you don't know, Kinect is Microsoft's attempt at motion control/controller-less  gaming.  All you need is an Xbox with the updated software and (of course) the Kinect Sensor.  The pricing for Kinect gives you three options: 1. The 4GB Xbox console with Kinect for $299 2. The 250 GB Xbox with Kinect for $399 or 3. Kinect by itself for $129. With Kinect you can play a variety of games like dancing, sports, fitness, and racing or you can control your Xbox with it using the camera and voice recognition.  It can also recognize real life items you use, and let you use them for things on the Xbox. For example, it will scan a skateboard and let you use it for a game or you avatar. A popular question is how does it compare with the PlayStation Move, which i will be doing a post on later. Well, to answer that question.... I think it is better in the sense that no controller necessary, but with the Move controller I think that the PlayStation version may be more accurate.  I think that right now where Kinect is at it isn't nothing special, but it has potential. I think it should be integrated more into regular games instead of all of these "Kinect titles" which are made only for that.  Another major thing that I dream of it doing is.....First Person Shooter games. This will help reach more of a wider base of people, like the more "hardcore" gamers, instead of just families, kids, and people uninterested in regular games.  The way I imagine it is like the movie "Gamer" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECoPbiGfjNw ). Not the using real people part but controlling the game with your body. Those are just some of my thoughts on the new Kinect.

No comments:

Post a Comment